Hazmat Highway to Hell with High Pressure Gas Cylinders

You really have to watch this to experience the visceral reaction of compressed gas cylinders going off during a traffic collision. It was first posted by the master of disaster Jay Patterson. Cudos, Jay.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide

According to the Mayo Clinic, the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are as follows:

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be especially dangerous for people who are sleeping or intoxicated. People may have irreversible brain damage or even be killed before anyone realizes there’s a problem.”
This last observation, that CO poisoning is especially dangerous for people who are sleeping should be a huge concern for everyone.  People who think they are safe because of their carbon monoxide detectors may just be in more danger than they think.  Carbon monoxide detectors in residential use are almost never calibrated, and this is a problem.  This would never be tolerated in an industrial environment.  There are rules and regulations demanding that, because gas detectors tend to drift, they need regular calibration.
There is another problem that should worry us- and that is the parameters for calibration of carbon monoxide detectors that is prescribed for those in residential use by the UL.  Here they are:

400 ppm CO must respond within 6-15 minutes

150 ppm CO must respond within 10-15 minutes

70 ppm CO must respond within 60-240 minutes

The response time and the test levels are seriously inappropriate.  Something has to be done about this.

And most people think that when they push the “test” button on their CO monitor, that they are testing to make sure it will do the job.  Really, it just tests whether the battery is good.  It in no way tells them that the device is in calibration.

Winter and the Silent Killer

Winter, as they say, is coming,  and with it comes the silent killer.  And no, I’m not talking about cold temperatures, I’m talking about carbon monoxide.

When it’s cold we want to huddle inside our heated houses or cars and make sure there are no drafts to disturb our carefully controlled warm environments. But too little air exchange between where we’re staying toasty and the outside world can be dangerous sometimes—especially when we have a crack in the furnace heat exchanger or a damaged kerosene heater.  Carbon monoxide, the silent killer, can start to build up around us and our loved ones.

People take carbon monoxide for granted.  Let’s face it, it is an easy gas to forget until it’s too late. We seal up our house to save on fuel bills, never thinking about whether a little indoor/outdoor exchange of air just might keep us from dying.

Never take carbon monoxide buildup for granted. The CDC does everyone a favor by explaining the dangers.

Butane Boneheads

Fire fighters battle smoke

Here’s a good one for you taken from an article by Dan Ferguson with the Langley Times:

Langley fire blamed on cannabis oil extraction process

“The fire that sent a Langley Township resident to hospital last week was caused by a butane gas explosion while cannabis oil was being extracted from marijuana, investigators believe.

A 56-year-old man was transported to hospital by air ambulance after he suffered extensive burns in a noon-hour fire on Thursday, Aug. 11 in a house near 204 Street and 76 Avenue.

The victim was conscious and able to walk to the stretcher before he was loaded onto the ambulance.

He is expected to recover.

The fire was small and damage was limited to a portion of the house interior and an exterior deck.

Multiple, police, fire and ambulance units attended.”

Do they never learn?

It just goes to show that one good reason to legalize pot is to get these candy-ass pot extraction gurus out of the supply equation.  Butane is a dangerous gas for amateurs to handle.

Next time you’re thinking of doing butane extractions in your home, buddy, get a gas detector before you blow up your entire neighborhood.  There are enough safety issues in the gas world without amateurs adding to them.